Thursday, November 17, 2011

Marovo Lagoon

Hello All,
We made it to the first anchorage in Marovo Lagoon at 1345 this afternoon. My position is 08 39.82S 158 11.26E It only took us 2 hours to get up here from Nggatokae Island anchorage. This Lagoon is one of the largest in the world. That point has been argued because of Vangunu Island in the middle but none the less very big. We will be in the protection of the lagoon for a week or so visiting villages and snaking our way through all of the little Islands along the way. When we got here we were visited by 2 dug out canoes with carvings. We were so impressed by the work we made a deal on a few items.
Yesterday we went out to one of the Islands close by with the dingy and found some of the nicest coral I have seen. I keep making that statement but as I go the record keeps getting broken for the nicest place.
We will spend a few days here at Mbili Passage anchorage and check out all of the reefs around here. There are a few villages close by so we will pay them a visit also.

P.S. I keep forgetting to tell everyone that I have added some new pictures and I updated my route on my site while I was in Honiara. Take a look.

PEACE

P.S.S. Mom posted this for Rick 2 days late because of power outages in Nikiski

No comments:

Post a Comment