Wednesday, February 17, 2010

26'59.67 N - 120'19.69 W

Hello All,
I am writing this to you adrift 378 miles south of San Diego. For 3 days straight we were sailing right along with a beautiful westerly breeze. Yesterday morning was looking like another in sailing paradise when the wind turned more to the north, meaning it started to come from behind, which is ok, I just pulled down all the sails but the jib so it could get all the wind with out getting smothered by the other sails and carried on till the wind just came down to just a few knots. I tried several different sails I have on board for light wind work but in the end there was nothing I could do. We were both very tired after exhausting every effort to make the boat go so I said, lets get the sails on the deck and go to bed. We lied a hull in 4 foot swell all night but slept like a baby. At 0700 this morning we tried all over again and had good sailing for about an hour. We are not far from the northern trades and my weather fax shows me there is wind down there. We just need to get there lol. My old thought would be to just fire up the iron sail and lets go but I don't have the fuel to make it all the way but I do have enough for part of the way so this may be the part , we will see.
Talk to you all soon.

PEACE

1 comment:

  1. Rick, it is a good thing you are young and not on a schedule. As they say patience is a good thing otherwise you would have a motor vessel.
    Good luck on getting some wind soon.

    ReplyDelete