Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Leaving Fakarava

Hello All,
We came back up north from the south pass yesterday. We had a really good time snorkeling both days we were there and while we were in the little village looking around we talked to one of the locals and he told us with the weather that was suppose to come we better get on out of here. We had squall after squall Sunday night out of the north so we were completely exposed to the waves coming across the lagoon. All of us in the anchorage were up at midnight taking a look at our anchors. I myself had to fire up the engine and motor up on my anchor because it was wrapped around a coral head and for the second night was trying to rip my bow off my boat. I got it freed up finally and got to sleep the rest of the night. Monday morning the wind shifted back to the east of which we were better protected with the wind coming from that way and it rained and blew for about 2 hours. Usually squalls are short and wet but these were extremely long.
So after our conversation with the local guy we managed to get our anchors up and came back up north. The trip north was mostly motor sailing until a squall hit us with everything flying. I was doing 7.5 knots with the engine off and the port rail in the water. I was trying to make it up here before dark which we barely made it. The weather up here has been much nicer but with this storm coming by Thursday we will go to the next atoll over tomorrow morning that has an all weather anchorage and spend a few days untill it blows over. The next atoll is Toau, 30 miles away so we hope to be there in the afternoon.
I will write more when we get settled and let you know what's going on.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment