Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Who needs sails?

Hello All,
We are just hours away from making landfall on Vanua Levu Island,Fiji. It has been an interesting passage to say the least. When we left Tonga it looked like the winds were going to be light and they were for the first day and a half then it picked up and has not let up at all. We have been making really good time. We "hove to" yesterday so we could make it to Savu savu in the day light. 65 miles off shore we stopped the boat and threw out the sea anchor to slow our drift and did this for 8 hours. It wasn't much fun sitting there bobbing around, but I didn't have much choice. The strangest thing happened to me a little bit ago. It was my watch and I could see we were making to good of time and we were going to get in to early, so I took the jib down and put up the staysail, which is a smaller sail and I was still doing almost 5 knots with the staysail only. So I thought if the boat can go that fast with that small sail then it doesn't need any sail to move. So I pulled the sail down, now there is not one sail up on the boat and guess what, I am doing 3 knots and that's 2.5 over the ground. So I am drifting half a knot and I am moving across the water 2.5 knots. I was beside my self. I am going dead down wind so I figure my dodger the mast and just the boat is making a sail. Someone told me this was a good downwind boat but I didn't expect this. lol.
Besides the wind being good to us, the weather has been overcast and rainy drizzly for days now, I thought I was in the South Pacific. I guess it happens every where at some stage. Well I better get outside and take a look around in the dark.
Talk to you later.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment