Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mountain Climbing on Niuatoputapu

Hello All,
Today was an awesome day of exploring. We went for a hike up the mountain in the middle of the Island. It is 450 tall so its not huge but the views we got when getting to the top were fantastic. I got some very nice pictures that I will share with you when I get a chance. We walked the ridge from one end of the mountain range to the other. We got a pretty early start so we would be done before it got to hot. We hiked down the back side of the mountain to the last village of the Island, stopped to get some bread at the local bakery, which is just a woman that bakes bread for the village, stopped at the fresh water spring for a cool bath and then walked back to the boat.
After returning I did some work on the engine and then after that I scrubbed the bottom till I couldn't stand it any more. I still have the port side to do but Jon said he would do that side for me and I can do a few other things.
We were invited to a pot luck on the beach tonight hosted buy one of the local families. We had a nice dinner and got to visit with a few of the 5 boats here in the anchorage.
We will leave tomorrow after noon for the Northern Tonga Group. It should take us a day and a half to get there. This has been an excellent stop over and a beautiful Island and I would recommend to anyone coming this way.
That's all for now so I will talk to you soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment