Friday, April 8, 2011

Keel in the mud


Hello All,
I am currently over at Doug's boat yard leaned up against his wharf. I let the boat go dry today with the tide so I could look and see how the bottom is doing. It is a bit muddy from being in the river for all of this time but outside of that everything looks good. I put on a new zinc on the prop shaft and Doug came and looked at my prop bearing. He said it is worn but not worn out so he said when you get back home to put a new one in. That made me feel much better, I have done enough here for boat work.
I had a nice chat with Doug tonight, he is originally from California. He came here cruising in the 80's and never left. He got married and had children here and bought this boat yard in the 90's. He said he is the only privately owned boat yard north of Whangarei. He uses a slipway system which is hauling boats out on railroad tracks. I got heaps of pics so when I can I will post them.
The bottom needs to be cleaned off but I will wait till just before I leave north. I am meeting up with more crew interested tonight so I will let you know how that goes.
Talk to you later.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment