Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stormy and Cold

Hello All,
The last few days I have been working on the boat and visiting with a Danish boat "Naveren" I met in French Polynesia. Mona was the skipper at the time we first met, she now is the boats engineer. I had dinner with them last night on the boat and tonight we went out and she bought me dinner. She is a wonderful lady and it was good to catch up. The boat has been from here to Auckland about 10 times since we all arrived here in late November. She is the only one I know on the boat, they have had many crew changes the last year. There boat is very unique because it has 32 owners. It is 52 feet and can sleep 10 people. The set up they have is like a time share ownership. Each owner comes and goes at different destinations along the way. It is going for its 5th circumnavigation since built in Denmark in 1986. They are departing for Vanuatu tomorrow afternoon. Seems a bit early yet but they have a few deadlines that need to be met and it looks like it should be good weather for them. I will see them off tomorrow.
The weather is getting colder here now and more unpredictable. I have started my cabin heater every night for the last 5 days. It is getting into the 50s at night and it barely broke 70 today and was gusting 30 knots. I know you guys are laughing but when its 80 most days ,70 is chilly and 50 is freezing.
I met up with a 30 year old French girl this after noon interested in coming on the boat. She has been here traveling for a year now and would like to try her hand at sailing. She hasn't sailed much but she seemed very excited to learn so next week we will try to get out and sail for an afternoon and see how it goes. She is very nice and speaks awesome English. She said she has only been speaking it since she got here in New Zealand.
Now for boat talk, i talked to Doug at the boat yard and I am going to let the boat go dry by his dock on Friday. He said he would take a good look at the prop bearing and he will tell me what he thinks.
That's about all that is happening for now so I will talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment