Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back in Beautiful Opua New Zealand

Hello All,
I made it back to the floating palace at 1500 today. Everything fared well except for the mess I left the cabin in. I could have swore someone dropped a grenade in here while I was gone.
I spent the night in Auckland so I could catch the morning bus to Opua. I chose a motel at random when I was at the airport and I was picked up by the motel shuttle. A young Korean guy picked me up and I was the only one in the shuttle. Turns out I got the last room for the night. I saw he was wearing a Yankees Baseball hat and I had to ask, are you a base ball fan? He told me he was and had seen a few games. He and his wife lived in Seattle for a time and now they live here. We had a little small talk and arrived at the motel. It was only a few miles from the airport but it wasn't much of a place, hence the cheap price, but it was clean and the people friendly none the less. They asked if I needed to get a ride to the airport in the morning and I said no, that I was catching a bus down town in the morning. I was going to get a cab but the fairs from the airport or vicinity are expensive. The driver of the shuttle named Kim perked up and said he and his wife were going downtown in the morning and would gladly give me a ride to the bus station. I took him up on the offer and this morning they gave me a ride. We had an awesome visit along the way. They told me they miss Seattle and she said I miss the South Center Mall. I laughed so hard.
He was born and raised in Korea and met his wife when he was going to school in Seattle. I offered to pay them something and they told me that so many Americans helped them while in the U.S. he was just returning the favor to me. I wished the world was full of people like Kim and his wife. God bless them and I wish them all the best.
I had to tell that story, just for them although they will never read it , it makes me feel good.
I am here and safe and freestyle AKA The Floating Palace was patently awaiting my return.
Good Night to all and it was very good to see all of you when I was home and to those I didn't get to see, I will make it up to you. Time just flew by.


PEACE

1 comment:

  1. Rick,glad you made it home and back safely. Sounds like the floating palace will require your attention for the next few days. Are you happy to be back or do you miss Alaska. In all my travels, I always seemed to have mixed feelings until I got busy. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with family and friends in Alaska. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete