Monday, February 7, 2011

Making the boat look like new

Hello All,
Its been a while since I have been here. I have been so busy trying to get this boat ready. I got all of the caulking work done then I started a project that I have been thinking about for months. I started cleaning up all of the teak and I am varnishing it. I found some stuff they make here in NZ that they guarantee for 5 years so I am giving it a try. The teak was getting so weathered that the wood plugs that cover all of the screws started popping out and the teak is as old as the boat so it was wearing thin in spots so I am choosing the lesser of two evils.The choice was simple, keep the finish maintained on the wood and make it last for years to come or replace all of the teak when I get home. Its allot of work but it looks fabulous. The finish will also make the boat more water proof. I am doing the work in pieces, I am doing the cap rails and the rub rails around the outside of the boat, when that's completed I will do the wood on the deck and the rudder cheeks. It is way to much to bite off at once and we are expecting rain tomorrow so I will finish stage one today.
That's about all that has been going on here, I will take some pictures as I go and hope to post them soon.
I will talk to you all soon.


PEACE

1 comment:

  1. Great meeting you over the holiday Rick out at the farm. What a change in weather for you. Safe sailing to ya. Bruce

    ReplyDelete