Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Epi Island Vanuatu, Lamen Bay

Hello All,
We got here just as I planed at 0830 this morning. The light from the sun was in our eyes but was still easy to find a good spot to anchor. My position in the world is 16 35.79S 168 09.86E.
The bay is very shallow but is free from most hazards so I got into 14 feet of water and dropped the anchor. We got settled for a few hours then took the dingy to the beach. There is a small but nice village here and everyone said hello as we walked around. We wanted to find some fresh bread and one of the locals took us to someone's home. He bakes bread in a wood fired concrete oven. The recipe reminds me of a French baguette but he does it with a loaf, it was the best bread I have had in a while. We bought 2 loafs and plan to get 2 more tomorrow. There is also a small Resort here but not how you would think. I have found that most of the resorts here in Vanuatu are owned by locals and are not fancy, just a place to stay where they feed you and show you around. There is also a small Yacht club here, I plan to go talk to the owner tomorrow just to say hello.
After all of the exploring we all went for a swim. We didn't have to go far we just jumped off of the boat. There is a mammal that I had never heard of that lives here between the bay and Lamen Island next door, it's called a "Dugong". Paula spotted him first and I went to see. I would have to say it is a cousin of the Walrus but if you google it let me know. It is an amazing animal and not aggressive, it just swims around and eats the grass growing on the bay bottom. The bay also has more turtles than you can count. When I jumped in the water there was one in the shade of the boat on the bottom just taking a break from the sun. Rafal and Paula got some really good underwater pictures of our new friends so I hope to post them to show you.
Tomorrow I think we plan to take the dingy over to Lamen Island, a half mile across, I have been told there is a nice village there that welcome visitors.
I will tell you more later.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment