Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Arrived Pohnpei Micronesia

Hello All,
Position 06 57.76N 158 12.11E
We are safe and sound moored in Pohnpei Harbor. After a few hours of check in procedures we made it into the bay and grabbed a mooring buoy. We were going to anchor but after Robinson, a local, came out and guided us through the reefs he offered us a mooring for 5 dollars a day. We will only be here 4 days so I found this very reasonable. They use U.S. dollars here so I don't have to try to figure the exchange.
The last few days sailing was a mixed bag of heavy wind and sea or a nice breeze and enjoying the sun shine. The winds blow here north east and we were heading due north. For 3 days the wind was due east which made an awesome sail but 24 hours before we got here it picked up in speed and turned to the north east so we were hard on the wind. Not what I would call fun but we made due and got here on the day I planed to.
We went to the beach today and briefly looked around. We found a super market not for from here and I was like a kid in a candy store. They had most of the brands I am familiar with from the U.S. and not bad prices either. Micronesia is an Independent country but with close ties to the U.S. It may sound funny to get excited about groceries but it is the first store I have seen of its kind since Port Villa, Vanuatu 5 months ago.
We are talking about hiring a taxi to show us around the Island tomorrow. It is a high Island with awesome rock cliffs and very green through out. It is a very beautiful Island and I will get lots of pictures for you guys to see.
That's all for now.

PEACE

P.S. Rick sent this 1-24-2012

1 comment:

  1. That sounds real nice Rick! It's been right around -5 to 5 above...a real heat wave. Not like your heat wave, but you know what I mean. I look forward to reading your next post. Sounds like your having a blast! Tell us about the next fish you catch. Take care Rick...type at ya later, Ricky

    ReplyDelete