Monday, January 23, 2012

The Best of Both Worlds

Hello All,
I am on a 2 am night watch and I thought I would comment on something I have kind of taken for granted the last few years. The stars in the sky, it is a perfectly clear night and it is quiet breath taking to see millions of stars. They look so close it looks like you could pick them out of the sky. It makes you feel pretty small out here but glad you are. The unique thing about being close to the Equator is you can see the Big Dipper and the Southern Cross in the same sky. We are headed north so the Big dipper is right in front of us and you look around to the south and there is the Southern Cross. That is one thing I will miss about these long passages in the middle of the sea. I have a star finder on my I Phone and myself and my former crew have had heaps of fun finding and picking out all of the planets and the many stars that are shining down on us on a clear night such as the one this evening.
We are in a place on the planet most people have never been and I feel lucky to have the best of both worlds.

PEACE

P.S. This blog was sent 1-22-2012 and the previous blog this morning was sent on 1-21-2012. The delay must be going through San Diego.

2 comments:

  1. You lucky dog! Sounds like a dream. Very happy for you Rick. I've been reading your posts...Very,very interesting. Looking forward to the next one. Alls well here. Been about -20 for the last 2 weeks, but has warmed up to a balmy 10-15 above zero. It just makes me melt...Had to take off my parka! Take care Rick. I'll type at ya later, Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, the former crew had lots of fun watching the stars and planets. The sky in New Zealand is beautiful but it's never been as unbelievably breathtaking as on the night passages. Have fun in Pohnpei! We are glad you made it.

    ReplyDelete