Friday, December 30, 2011

Parking the Motor Home in someones front yard

Hello All,
New years is upon us and I had a subject that I wanted to get off my chest. I have met so many cruisers that only mingle with other cruisers or at least don't care about meeting locals. Its a shame that they don't get to know the locals, they have so much to offer. I have met so many, to many to count that just want friendship from someone from another place.
The Pacific Ocean is a very unique ocean for this because of the numbers, a very small number live on these Islands and they are wonderful people as a whole. I say that because since I have been in the Solomon's I have had have stuff stolen off the boat. But that being said the people here have been so nice. The Solomon's are special because they are an actual independent country without help from anyone so there is no country helping the economy. The wood carvers here are artists and they do this work for money or trade to benefit themselves or to feed their families.
Getting back to the point of the article. These cruisers anchor in these peoples front yards and want to be left alone, give me a break, what would you do if a 50 foot motor home parked in front of your house for a month, these people have no money so they are going to try to sell you something, like a carving, or veggies, at least they have something worth while to sell. They can be a little pushy but I don't blame them.
All of the cruisers I have met are not from here so we are a guest in this country and if they don't like it, as the saying goes "If you don't like the heat, get out of the galley". I made this trip not to be alone and anchor where I won't be bothered, but to meet other cultures and to get to know them as a people. I would have to say I have done very well at that and so have they. I have a load of carvings to prove it.
I wrote this after talking to other cruisers and their negative experiences here in the Solomon's, I have had nothing but good with the Solomon people here. To bad the cruisers didn't or don't have the same feelings. Maybe they should pull there heads from where the sun doesn't shine and realize they are not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Their loss.

PEACE

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. As if I was reading my own thoughts ;)

    Happy New Year! We hope this year will be even more adventurous, that you'll love Micronesia, Japan and Aleutians and that it'll not be the end of your great trip but just a beginning :)

    Paula & Rafal

    ReplyDelete