Thursday, April 19, 2012

22 12.14N 140 52.47E

Hello All,
After running the engine for a few days we finally got into some good wind. It is pretty strong so we have everything reefed but we are making good speed and it's not to rough. Seas are at about 6 to 7 feet and we are almost on a beam reach so the ride is not to bad. I have been watching the weather with my sailmail system and it has been spot on so far so it has made it easy to try to figure out a good route to Japan. For the first 4 days we went North up the Mariana Island chain so we could get a good angle to cross over. We are on that crossing now because the heavy winds will not let us go North any futher. So now we are on a rum line for Japan and should make the half way point sometime tonight.
All is well on board and Stephen has been a big help. He was feeling great until it got rough again but he is eating well and holding it down so all is good.
Yesterday morning I saw something I have yet to experience on the water thus far. The front that was holding our wind from us futher south showed itself yesterday. It was early morning and I saw this black line of clouds ahead of us as far as you could see to the horizon. At first I thought it was a squall coming but as I got closer I could see under the cloud front and the ones below the black ones were rolling over the top, like you would roll up a piece of paper. It was moving at about 10 knots I figured and as I past under it, like going under a bridge, the wind came up out of the East like you turn on a light switch. After that moment we have been sailing ever since. It is really cool when Mother Nature shows the nuts and bolts of the weather for everyone to see.
The sea and the air temperatures are both dropping. The sea is at 84 degrees and the air is 78 degrees. My days of being hot are now over, sigh.
Well that's all for now. Talk to you soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment