Friday, June 25, 2010

A little closer to Penrhyn

Hello All,
After writing you last night we had all kinds of fun. Can you say squall, we had so many I lost count. Most were just wet but a few had some wind to go along with, so I stayed up with Delphine on her watch and made sure we could get the sails down or help in any way. We did pull the jib down once after seeing one coming that was massive. It is good moon light right now so we could see well and they pick up on the radar also. After Jon came on deck things settled down and I went to bed. I got up this morning and it was sun shining and there was good wind. I asked Jon how it went and he said right after I went to bed it poured on him, he said it was a waterfall from the sky. I just laughed and said, I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets wet on a watch.
Our timing to make the atoll could be better. I figure us to be there to late to get in the pass with good light so I have slowed the boat down to get there Sunday morning. That is the plan anyway. I figure it will beat heaving to all night by the Island or circling it 50 times just to kill time. The atoll is only 11 miles long and 6 miles wide so this will be interesting to see this place. The closest Island to it is 200 miles away so it is all by its self.
We spotted some Orca whales today, at least that's what they look like to me, black with white spots, so that made our day. They were swimming around us checking us out and we were doing the same. That was the excitement for the day. I hope tonight will be less eventful and I can get some good sleep.
That's all for now so I will talk to you tomorrow.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment