Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tahitian Manta Rays

Hello All,
We moved over to Opunohu Bay yesterday morning.It took us about an hour to make the trip.it is basicly right next door to Cooks Bay.Futher was already over here at the anchorage.They have been exploring the area and passing on the info telling us all the cool spots to go.Curious came over also and after getting settled in we took a trip in steves dingy and went to go see the Manta rays and sharks.It is a spot about a mile west of here.The water was crystal clear with a sandy bottom about 4 feet deep.There was hundreds of sharks and Manta rays.Brian brought some fish food scraps and was feeding the Manta rays.They come right up to you and grab the food right out of your hand and then rub you with there fins in a very friendly way.I was petting them like a dog when they would come close enough.I have never been so close to sea life before.The sharks were up to 6 feet long and they swam around like we didnt exist,which was a good thing.That was such a great experience and like I have said before I dont know how I can beat it.
We will be moving on to Huahine Island about 1730 tonight so we can make it there by daylight.It is 80 miles north west of here.From there Bora Bora is only 23 miles away so French Polynesia is coming to a close for me.
We will have lunch with Curious today.This will be the last time we will see them for a few monthsThey will be hanging out here in French Polynesia for another month.We hope to meet up again in Fiji.I never realized how hard it was gonna be to say good bye.I have met some really fine folks so far and we will all meet up again down the line.
I think we will jump in the dingy and go exploring today so I better get going.

PEACE

1 comment:

  1. Hi, OK... got it all sorted and can follow now!
    The sting rays do NOT sound like my idea of a pet to pat!
    Just looked at some web images of Cooks Bay....wow! Enjoy your Sunday and it was AMAZING to speak to Delphine just now!

    ReplyDelete