Friday, March 18, 2011

Freestyle to the rescue

Hello All,
We left Tutukaka anchorage Thursday morning. It was a beautiful day but no wind. We had to motor all the way down to Whangararei Harbor. As we were turning in the entrance to the river a cruising couple on a charter sailing yacht waved us down. Seems they had engine trouble and the wind was very light so they asked if we could give them a tow to the first anchorage. I got out my 180 feet of nylon line and we towed them about 2 miles in and to the anchorage. I was hero of the day, they thanked me and we carried on up the river to Town Basin Whangarei. It took us about 2.5 hours to come up here. This is quite a unique setting. The harbor is right down town and everything is within walking distance. We passed by Rob and Ruth on Albatross 3 and as we were coming in to our slip Rob and LuAnne on Compass Rose were tied up close by and gave us a hand tying up. Compass Rose invited us over for a beer after we got settled in. I haven't talked to them at length in a long time so it was good to catch up. Later Thursday night Dan and I went out to have some Pizza.
Friday Dan went home to do a little job and to see his wife. Rob on Compass Rose invited me to go on a hike with him yesterday afternoon up one of the local mountains. Its not very tall so it didn't take to long. It was pouring down rain so I left the camera behind. It gives a great view of the city so I hope to get back up there tomorrow. Tonight Rob and Ruth invited me to go to dinner with them with some other cruising folks. I payed them a visit this morning, they got the boat looking like new, repainting and stuff.
I took a walk around town today and got some pictures, I hope to post them in Auckland.
Dan will return to the boat Monday and I hope to leave here by Tuesday morning, weather permiting.
Well thats all for now so I will talk to you later.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment