Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunamis

Hello All,
I got online this morning at 1030 to look at my email and I was devastated by the news in Japan. I looked at the Tsunamis warning center and saw that almost all of the Pacific was going to be affected to some degree from the earthquake. As I was reading I heard water starting to slap the bow and I thought oh great, I have varnishing to do today and the wind came up and was making waves. I am still in Opua on a mooring. This a very protected harbor at the mouth of the Kawa Kawa River and at the very head of the Bay of Islands. I went out to take a look and what I saw amazed me. We had low water this morning at 0800 so the tide was coming back in but not at its usual pace of usually less than a knot, the water was screaming in. I got out my manual water speedometer and clocked the water speed at 4 knots. I was watching the beach and saw the water rise over 2 feet in less then 5 minutes. The mooring anchor buoys that were not occupied were drug under water. I thought to myself this is the surge from the Tsunamis. In the coarse of an hour all was back to normal, the water had receded back to a somewhat normal state and the current was basically nil.
Mother Nature has a way of reminding us all who is in charge and my heart goes out to the many lives that were lost in this tragic event.


All is good here, I will talk to you later.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment