Friday, January 27, 2012

Leaving Pohnpei tomorrow



Hello All,
We have had a brief but great time here in Micronesia. We have been touring all over the Island by taxi seeing lots of sites and in between getting the boat stocked up to make the 10 day trip to Guam. I have been used to paying through the nose for every thing you buy at the stores but here it is very cheap. There is heaps of American food at a very good price and the local food is also really cheap. I would love to spend more time here but my crew need to catch planes in Guam. Yesterday we went to see a Japanese defense gun from WWII and today we went to see some ancient ruins from a thousand years ago, we were told it is the best ancient site in the Pacific and they were right, it was an amazing place to see.
We have met some really nice people here and in Pacific Island fashion they are very helpful. Robinson, the guy we rented the mooring from gave me a ride in his dingy to get fuel for the boat this morning. Town is not very close to where we are so with a fast boat you can be there in no time. I just gave him a few bucks for gas for the ride and yesterday I got the boat stocked up with groceries.
We made arrangements with the officials to check out tomorrow afternoon. This is the shortest time i have spent on a Pacific Island but I will make up for it in Guam but I am sure it will be a more expensive place to stay. I may have to return to Micronesia someday to see more.
I uploaded some pictures of Pohnpei so take a look when you can. Beautiful place and as usual sad to leave so soon.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment