Thursday, November 19, 2009

Santa Barbara


Hello All,
Well we made it to Santa Barbara.The weather here is awesome,it gets a little cold at night but the days are in the 70s.I have been here before driving through and forgot how pretty this place is and coming in from the water makes it that much better.
Our crossing down here from Morro Bay was very nice with just enough wind to sail most of the way down.We stopped on San Miguel Island which is the most northern of the channel Islands and found a nice bay to anchor in.We stayed there 2 days so I could do some repairs to the boat and just enjoy the weather.Sam took the dink to shore to check out the nice sandy beaches.
Our next stop was Santa Cruz Island.We had really good wind so got to sail the whole 33 miles to Prisoners Harbor which is not a harbor at all.There is a pier there to fish off of and a little state park there also.It is protected from NW winds but not from alot of the swell.I wont get to detailed about it but it reminded me of sleeping underway in the Pacific Ocean but with the anchor out.After being entertained all night by the lovely Prisoners Harbor (NOT) LOL we headed for Santa Barbara,not 15 minutes into the trip after getting out of the Islands lee we were greeted to 10 foot seas and I recorded 36 knots so the dodger got a work out and the decks got good and cleaned off.I didnt have any sails up but at 36 knots I would have had just the staysail up.After about an hour into the crossing the wind came down to 25 so I put up the staysail and a double reefed main but kept the engine running just to get us here before the weather decided to entertain us once again.The wind dyed out about an hour out so the rest of the trip was uneventful.
I added a few pics to the site and will add more as I walk around here more.
Next stop Oxnard Ca
Talk to you all soon

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment