Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Heading for Tuamotus Atolls

Hello All,
We are underway to the Tuamotu Atolls. We left Daniels Bay this morning and are on a beam reach making 5.5 knots. The sky is clear and all the stars are out. We saw a awesome sunset tonight and hope the sunrise is just as beautiful. We hiked up to the waterfall yesterday, the trail to get there was like something you write about in a book, it was beautiful. It took about an hour and a half to get there. We had to cross a few streams but all in all the hike was pretty easy. The water fall was pretty dry right now but the canyon where it is at is undescribable. I got some really good pictures and I will post when I can find fast internet. After returning to the village we met a local family. They both spoke pretty good English. They invited us for coffee and after a few hours of chatting they broke out some homemade fruit wine. It must have been midnight when we said good bye. This morning we went back and had coffee with them again. I gave them a signed Alaska flag and we exchanged emails and we signed a guest book they had. I think that was my best time and the most beautiful place of the Islands. I guess we saved the best for last.
We should be arriving at Manihi Atoll by Thursday afternoon. I am kinda sad to leave the Marquesas but am looking forward to the next adventure. I have never seen an Atoll so this will be exciting.
Ok that's all I know for now. I will talk to you all soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment