Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 2 on Naingani Island

Hello All,
We are still here safely anchored off Naingani Island. Last night at the time of writing my blog the rain stopped and the wind came down to calm so I thought the worst of the low was passing. At 0300 this morning I was awakened by the boat moving from side to side and the rigging streaking with the sound of wind, heaps of wind and rain. I got up to take a look and it was pitch black outside so I turned on the GPS to see if we had moved and everything looked okay. We dropped the anchor in 20 feet sand bottom when we arrived and we both inspected the anchor while swimming and the holding is very good here. It still doesn't make me sleep any easier so I basically stayed up till light and have been reading and taking a nap or 2 all day. Not long after I got up I looked to see the dingy was okay but was getting light in the bow from the gusts of wind. The next time I looked 20 minutes later I saw that it had capsized from a gust topping 45 knots, so I got Alex up and we got it up on deck and got it tied down. A rule that I learned a long time ago in the Margueses Islands, if you want to keep anything that is in the dingy, have it tied off, if you don't want to keep it, don't tie it off. The outboard got drowned again so in between rain down pours and wind gusts I got the oil changed and the water out of the gas. That poor thing, I hope it will make this trip till I get home.
The wind has let up and the rain off and on so maybe we can leave for the main land tomorrow. I have been watching the weather and this low is moving through slower than predicted but we will see. An old mariner, my best friend Daren, once told me, 90 percent of the time you will wait for weather and only 10 percent of the time the boat moves. That has been holding pretty true. I have been waiting 48 hours to go 25 miles. If it was easy, every one would do it, right?
That's all for now.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment