Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Anchorage hopping at Marovo Lagoon

Hello All,
Yesterday we moved up to an outer reef anchorage. We were able to sail most of the way with a nice and light easterly breeze. As soon as we were anchored Rafal and Paula went snorkeling to explore the deep boat pass close by and I followed them in the dingy. They swam about 2 miles in total all the way out to the Pacific Ocean and saw reef Sharks, Turtles, Barracuda, Red snapper, Manta ray, and many other things. They had a great time and I am still letting a cut heal so they told me all about it, I did have my own fun in the dingy. On my way back to the boat I had at least 50 dolphins playing with my dingy. That was pretty cool, I have had them play with my sail boat but never the dingy. You could almost touch them.
This morning we decided to go west along the northern coast of Vangunu Island and found a nice anchorage by a small village on Marovo Island. My position, 08 30.94S 157 58.49E. This Island is famous for its wood carvings. We had a little fun getting into the anchorage. It was partly cloudy and the water murky so on approach we got a really good look at the reef partly blocking the entrance right under my boat. I got the boat stoped and assessed where we needed to go to get in. We found a small pass right in front of the village. Later today I took Paula and Rafal out to the reef to snorkel and I scouted out a better pass to leave the Logoon.
No sooner did we get the boat anchored here when a dozen dug out canoes came out to say hello. They had wood carvings for sale and a few had veggies to trade for rice and things. I think we are totally stocked now with veggies and carvings.
We will spend 2 days here at least, exploring the Island and going in to visit the village.
I will keep you posted.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment