Thursday, March 22, 2012

Varnish work and anchorage short comings

Hello All,
We had a few nice days without rain squalls this week so I went to work touching up my outside wood. It has been over a year since I cleaned up all of the teak and put some varnish on. I did that while I was in New Zealand and the stuff I used was a very good product made in New Zealand. The problem is I am out of it and to ship it here would be way to expensive and the Island doesn't have anything for outdoor use. I had some epoxy with a special wood hardener I had left over but I am just about out of it so I am going around fixing thin spots and coating complete areas where I can. I am just trying to get it to hold up till I can get home.

Outside of that I have been enjoying the goodies mom has sent me in the mail and watching the TV shows she recorded for me.

Since I arrived here Feb 3rd there has been all of 2 days where the the trade winds have been a gentle 10 knots. Besides that the wind blows here in the anchorage an average of 25 knots which makes 1 to 2 foot wind waves. It makes it very hard to work outside with out getting everything blown off deck. And the dingy ride to the yacht club is always an adventure. Right before I make the half mile run to the beach I slam my fingers in a drawer to put me in the right frame of mind and get a salt water shower while pounding into the waves to cool me off.

I could not resist holding back my thoughts on the anchorage any longer. And town is a 10 mile bike ride one way, the one good thing about being here is the yacht club with its fast Internet and facilities and I am still in the tropics. I am sure this last paragraph will fall on deaf ears to the folks at home.

I will enjoy my last 3 weeks here and am looking forward to a fast track tour of Japan. Southwest Alaska will be an adventure all by its self and will be good to be able to tow a beer behind the boat and actually have it get colder instead of warmer.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment