Monday, June 28, 2010

Made it to Penryhn Atoll

Hello All,
We made it to the atoll at 0800 this morning (06-27-2010). We drifted on a sea anchor for 6 hours last night 20 miles south east of the Island. The wind was blowing 20 knots all night so I kept the main sail up to help keep the boat steady, it worked out great. We drifted to the west about 4 miles in 6 hours time so I was very pleased. It is the first time I have tried my new sea anchor and it worked awesome. For those of you who don't know what one is, it is basically a parachute that you put in the water and tie off to the boat to help you keep from drifting so far and it keeps the boat at a nice angle to the seas so it makes it more comfortable than just drifting. The motion is almost better than sailing the boat so it makes for a nice platform for sleep, work on the boat or just taking a break.
When we got to the pass of the atoll I saw some markers that were on the chart but didn't exist in the pass so I questioned where the pass was and had Jon air up the raft and go take a look for me just to make sure we were in the right place. He took his snorkel gear with him and headed out. He screened the whole area and snorkeled part of the pass and came back and said this is it. I know that sounds a little paranoid on my part but we had the time and coral reefs are not something that I want to bump into at all.
We eye ball navigated our way to the anchorage because there is no markers at all here and found a place right by the village to anchor.There is tons of coral heads here so we laid out the chain as straight as we could so as not to get it wrapped around one.
After we got settled the customs called up on the VHF radio and told us they will be out to the boat to check us in to the country in the morning. So all is good here and can't wait to go ashore and check the place out. We are the only boat here and I am told they like to visit with cruisers so I will let you know how it goes. This is mainly a stop for people heading for Hawaii so we are mavericks for this area still heading south.
I will talk to you guys soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment