Friday, August 12, 2011

2 minute warning, time for the "Hail Mary" throw

Hello All,
I have the boat ready to go to Vanuatu, I still need to change the oil but I will do that tomorrow. Abdul, the local taxi driver here took me to the grocery store today so I could get stocked up for the trip and we also payed a visit to some of Nadi's finest back backer resorts so I could post some crew wanted adds. I call it a Hail Mary because most backpackers have no sailing experience but at this point company would work for me and someone to watch for other boats at night so I can sleep. I have the technology on board with the radar to sound an alarm if any craft or squalls are getting close but still would be nice to have someone along.
As of right now the departure date is Monday the 15th of my August(Dont forget the dateline lol), the weather looks good so far, so it should be a nice beam reach passage, I will keep a close eye. This will be the first solo passage for me if nothing comes up but I know this boat very well and once everything is set, it sails its self. The place where its nice for help is anchoring and watching for reefs in close quarters but Tanna Island, Port Resolution, my first land fall is straight forward with no hazards and a shallow anchorage with good holding. I would go straight to Port Vila, the main city on Efate Island to look for crew but that would mean skipping the worlds most excess able active volcano in the world so I will see that first then go North up to Port Vila. It is a slog to weather (100 miles) to try to go back to Tanna from Port Vila so it only makes since because I am heading North up the Island chain.
I will keep you posted and let you know whats happening.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment