Sunday, October 23, 2011

On Passage to the Solomon Islands

Hello All,
We are more than half way to the first Solomon Islands as we speak. The weather has been crap, rain showers and 10 foot seas but, the wind is good. We have been sailing since we left Pac Man Island at 0615 this morning. We have only a double reefed main and have been doing 5 knots plus. There were some massive squalls that hit us most of the morning. I haven't seen it rain that hard in a long time. Our destination is Vanikolo in the Santa Cruz Island group. It is not a check in port but I will never tell. lol. We plan to be there in the morning, I hope not to early. I was not expecting to be going this fast with such little sail. I will give you a position tomorrow.

Yesterday we took a walk around the village between rain showers. We went up to the new school that was just built and visited with one of the teachers. She explained how many classes there was and how many kids attend. 53 in all, not a big school but the arrangement reminded me of when I went to school in Copper Center, Alaska. After the rain stopped we went back to the village and visited with Chief Nicholson. We attended the fund raiser later yesterday and helped out by buying some fish and veggies that were for sale. We said our goodbye's to everyone and got back to the boat at 9 pm. Vanuatu has been an awesome experience and I do plan to write a Vanuatu "The Country" blog pretty soon.
I will talk to you all soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment