Saturday, October 8, 2011

Peterson Bay, North East Espiritu Santo

Hello All,
We left Luganville this morning at 1000 to make the 3 hour trip up to Peterson Bay. We were going to leave yesterday but it was very rainy and overcast and I wanted good light to find our way through the reefs to get in here. This morning was a perfect day to go with only partly cloudy skyies. When we arrived we found that the passage through the reefs was actually marked by the little resort that is here. It was a little confusing but once we figured it out it worked out well. The anchorage is completely surrounded by reefs and several Islands and what I didn't know is this is considered a cyclone haven for boats. It is lake like conditions once you get inside and it is one of the most beautiful settings I have seen in awhile. The Oyster Island Resort is here and is a fabulous place with a bar, bungalows and restaurant. There is also a river here that you can go up by dingy a mile and a half and see what is called the Blue Holes. It is the head of the river and natural springs come up out of the ground and form beautiful blue ponds that spill out into the river. We will go check them out tomorrow. I have seen pictures from my guides and it looks like going up a small river in the Amazon.
Just inland from here is the old Air Force base used by the Americans in WWII. I didn't know this until we got here but there was 100,000 troops stationed here. Heaps of history around here so we will take a walk and see the old airfield. You can see it from Google Earth, my position is 15 22.35S 167 11.37E Beautiful place and we are going to look forward to exploring the area in the next few days.
That's all for now.

PEACE

1 comment:

  1. I work out of Homer, AK and live in Soldotna. I have been reading your posts and wanted to express how much I appreciate them. Someday my husband and I will own a boat and do what you are doing. Thanks you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete