Saturday, August 21, 2010

Asau Bay, Savaii

Hello All,
We made it over to Asau Bay in northwest Savaii. We spent all night getting here under engine, the wind was very light. We got here at first light and my plotter for navigation had the Island off by a little bit so the bay was not where it was suppose to be according to my chart so I had to do eyeball navigation. I had Jon on the bow looking for the channel to enter and we came in to what I thought was the right way. After getting past the first set of breakers I figured we were home free but it never got deeper in fact it got worse. Before I went any father I put Jon in the dingy to look for the channel to enter. He looked around for an hour and never found anything that was deep enough to get us in. I was about to give up when some locals came out in a boat told us to follow them. They took us through the channel that was right by the breakers, I would have never guessed it was there looking at the big waves rolling in but it was plenty of water and once we got in the bay it was deep and sandy bottom. We anchored in 25 feet of water right by the village. We took a walk around this afternoon, it is a very small place but everyone is friendly. We will go see a few places tomorrow and check the place out.
On a side note, some places in the world have not been surveyed in resent years and this is one of them so my gps navigation is pretty worthless. I am anchored on land right now according to my plotter so you hope there is some kind of markers or friendly locals to get you there. This happened in Salelologa also but it is well marked. This is the first place my navigation let me down and I hope its the last.
All is well here and I hope everyone is good at home. I will talk to you later.


PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment