Sunday, September 18, 2011

Heading to Epi Island Sunday

Hello All,
We had an awesome Sunday here on beautiful Efate Island. The sun was out and not a cloud in the sky. Rafal and Paula went to the church services in the morning and I stayed behind and just did some research on what anchorage and what Island we want to see next.
I was visited by my neighboring boat, an American couple from Dallas Texas. He just got new sails put on there 52 foot Tayana and he asked me if I could take a few pictures from there dingy of there boat under sail. I said sure, this will be fun. This is a very big bay and is protected from the sea. So he left me his dingy and they went out and got the boat sailing and I raced out to where they were at and took some great pictures from all different angles. There dingy does 25 knots so I was having fun with that as well. After the photo shoot they came back and re anchored the boat. I got there dingy back to them and they showed up later with a bottle of French wine, a boat card and thanked me. They seemed pleased with the photos, it is harder than one may think to take pictures of a moving object from a very small moving object trying to stay ahead of an 8 knot boat. It was fun had by all.
After all of the excitement of the morning Rafal and Paula returned to tell me we have all been invited for lunch in the village, after the church service. The whole village makes food of all kinds and they all eat it together Buffet style. This village has 10 family's that live here so it is very small. They grow there own fruit and vegetables here and they sell them at the market in Port Vila. The main road to Port Vila is only a half of a mile from the village and they told us that a lot of the veggies sold at the market are grown right here.
We went into the village this morning with our laundry and went to a fresh water river close by. We took a bath and then washed our clothes in the river. This is the first time I have done laundry that way. I have done it many other ways but I liked this one best. The village was empty this morning, seems everyone was hard at work in there gardens getting the crops ready for market. They call them gardens here but they are actually plantations. Each family that lives here has there own piece of ground that they harvest just across the river from the village. The crew took the dingy over to take a look and I stayed behind to write this letter.
We plan to leave here this afternoon and make an over night passage to Epi Island about 65 miles from here. I will let you know when we get there and give you a position.
Talk to you soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment