Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mt. Yasur Volcano, Tanna Island

Hello All,
We finally made it up to the volcano today. This morning right at sun rise Gordon and Sherry on "Serenity" from California showed up from Port Villa. I met them in Fiji a few months ago and was glad to see them again. They went up to the volcano with us along with another cruising couple from Australia. We went up in a Toyota pick up with 4 doors and a small bed. I think I counted 10 people just in the back of the truck and 5 inside. The road is very rough but we all just kinda laughed about it. We got up there just as the sun was going down and we could hear the thunder of the mountain all the way from the anchorage 20 miles away. When we got to the top and looked inside we were all going wow, look at the lava and the sparks. Today was a very good day because the mountain was very active. When it erupted I thought I was shooting a 44 pistol, the power was amazing and molten lava was shooting out of the crater about 400 feet in the air. There were 100 eruptions the 2 hours we stayed there but a few about knocked you off of your feet. It is hands down the closest I have been to Mother Nature and her awesome power. It will be a while before I will top that adventure.
Now that we have seen about all Tanna can offer we will be leaving at 0400 for Erromango Island 50 miles to the north west. There is not much to do there but there is a village and some trails to hike. We will use it as a stop over to Port Villa so I don't plan to spend much time there. The weather will be going to crap in a few days so I want to get into safe harbor.
That's all I have for now so I will talk to you soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment