Sunday, April 1, 2012

Countdown to departure

Hello All,
This last week I have been busy tying up loose ends on the boat, so to speak, and this last weekend I helped a Japanese resident move his boat from a small marina 5 miles south of us up to the Typhoon refuge close to where I am at. Bob the live aboard resident here at the yacht club and Bob that owns the local Culligan water shop, both members of the yacht club, asked if I could give them a hand. The sailboat is 42 feet and what made it a challange is it had no engine. We were towed out of the harbor by the owners 12 foot power boat with a 90 horse power engine. It is a very small marina and not much room for error. We managed to get the boat out the channel, with a story that would be better told in person , and headed north along the protected south shore of the Island. We made it to Apra harbor with out a hitch and got the boat moored in the Ty phone harbor. This is also a place you can haul out and work on the the boat. You have to use a crane because there is no travel lift on the Island. The problem with the boat was the propeller shaft seal was completely worn out and had to be plugged to keep the boat from taking on water.
Yesterday I helped them haul the boat out with a 120 ton crane. The job actually went really well and his boat is now safe and sound on the the hard. He will make the repairs to the shaft and get the boat ready to go sailing again.
My crew arrives on the 4th so I am preparing for company. I will rent a car for a week so I can run arrends and be able to pick him up at the airport.
The rent a car folks are coming out to the yacht club to pick me up in a few so I need to get going. That is what I have been up to this last week.
I will talk to you soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment