Sunday, March 14, 2010

First steps on French soil

Hello All,
We got anchored up here yesterday at 1030. The locals were having a party down here on the big pier where the supply ship ties up so we were greeted to live Marquesan music as we entered. We got all settled in and aired up the dingy and went to shore. I brought all my paper work along with me to checked in. We only walked about 300 feet when some nice locals offered us a ride to town. It is a mile from here so we took them up on it. After getting there we figured out the Gendarmerie was closed for the weekend so we looked around briefly and walked back to the boat. I was a little worried about hanging out there not being checked in first.
We met a Belgium cruising couple after returning and asked them about the check in problem we had and they said, this is the Marquesas Islands, don't sweat it, just do it Monday and have a good weekend. I am not sure what is on the agenda today but I am sure we will find something to do. Tomorrow we will go get officially entered into the Islands and go get some fresh baked french bread and take a good walking tour of this fabulous little island.
Everyone speaks Polynesian first and French second so it makes it interesting to ask questions around here. I came prepared though, I have a french for cruisers book I brought along to help out.
On a side note, our first step on land was most interesting, can you say I feel drunk lol. It took us most of the day to get over the lack of motion from being on the boat so long.
That all I know for now so I will talk to you all soon.



PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment