Friday, March 19, 2010

Hanging out with other sailors

Hello All,
I know it's been a few days since I have written but we have been busy meeting cruising folks and checking out the little town. They have some well stocked grocery stores, a bank and a few little hotels. We have had a few dinners on some other boats. The cruising folks are so friendly and are a lot of help. The other day we needed some water to put in the tanks and we were told the water at the tap on the dock was not good, so our neighbor on a 56 foot sailboat gave us some of his because he has a water maker and 400 gallons to spare so we were grateful. The boats have been coming in here one by one every day. I just met some guys on a sailboat that just got in from San Diego. They made it in 22 days, they said they had awesome wind the whole way and I'm guessing they were a little faster than me. The guy from Britain that owns the 56 foot boat made it from the Galapagos Islands to here, which is around 3000 miles, in 16 days. He has a fast boat lol. There has been a lot of action here in the bay today, the supply ship came in this morning and a cruise ship came in making dozens of trips with there little tender dropping people on the beach.
I think we will be leaving here Saturday morning and head for a little bay on the north west corner of Hiva Oa Island and hang out there a few days. It is remote so we should be by ourselves. I tried to get on the internet in town today but it is so slow it would have taken days to down load pictures so for now I will just have to keep you guys in suspense. I have got some really good pictures so as soon as I can I will get them posted.
That's all I know for now so I will talk to you guys soon.

PEACE

2 comments:

  1. Rick, sounds like you had a great voyage to French Polynesia with some exciting times which I'm certain are to be repeated many time. I'm following you on Google Earth for the GSP coordinate are really helping. I'm truly enjoying reading your blogs. Enjoy your respite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, I have been reading your blog since before you left - we have never met despite both being in Homer last winter - we had just arrive in HMR on oou sailboat in the fall. Funny how the world works.

    Many congrats on your crossing and please keep the updates coming, it is a great treat to read about you in the tropics as it is 33F here and raining/snowing. I bet you don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete