Monday, March 1, 2010

7.32.58, -128.41.73

Hello All,
It has been an event full weekend here on the high seas. The wind has finally let up enough to get the yankee jib back up and we only have one reef in the main sail so we are making 5.5 knots. Two days ago while I was finishing my blog up I heard Tobias yell hang on! at that very instant I felt the boat roll hard to starboard. The tea pot which was securely mounted to the top of the stove hit me in the back, I looked up through the window and I just saw water, this lasted a few seconds and then the boat righted itself. We had a 10 foot wave come from behind, which is common, picked up the back of the boat but as it was riding up the wave an unexpected one came from the port quarter just as big and slammed the boat sideways, so down we went sideways till we hit the bottom of the trough. Luckily we just had minimum sails up and not much speed so it recovered okay. In the boating world that is called a 'broach' and it is not a good thing at all. I was doing my look around the engine room just looking to see if things were dry and secure I decided I would check the oil in the engine and what I saw made me break a sweat, sea water in the oil. I have a wet exhaust system on this boat and all I can figure is all of the waves pounding my port quarter, which is where my exhaust comes out, for the last 7 days forced water in my engine. I had to use up 3 gallons of oil to get it to clean up and I stuffed a sponge in the exhaust hole to prevent any more water being forced in.I am hoping that is all the excitement we get for a while.
The weather has been very nice. The full moon makes it really easy to see at night and its very hot and humid. The coldest I have seen at night in the last 5 days is 76 degrees and its getting 83 in the day with the sun behind a cloud.
All is good here, 17 days at sea now and still doing okay. I hope to see land in 10 to 12 days if we can keep our pace up.
That is all I know for now so will talk to you all soon.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment